Ride Safely to School Week – Monday 26 – Friday 30 October
Children need 60 minutes of physical activity every day. Riding or walking to school is an easy way to ensure you are getting the recommended activity every day. Children who ride or walk to school are also more likely to arrive at school alert and ready to learn.
What is Ride Safely to School Week?
Ride Safely to School Week has been developed to give schools the opportunity to reinforce safety messages around cycling while encouraging students to ride to school.
When is Ride Safely to School Week?
Monday 26 – Friday 30 October. Choose a day of that week to hold an event or do something for every day of that week!
How do I get my school involved?
All schools on the Ride or Walk to School program will receive a resource package including posters and stickers to promote the week at your school.
Schools not on the program can register their details to receive a resource package by clicking the link below or emailing email@example.com.
Ideas to Promote Ride Safely to School Week at your School
- Organise a ride to school day – get some school teachers or volunteers to meet at Part Way Drop Off points and ride in together
- Ask your school P&C to put on a healthy breakfast for riders
- At your school assembly or in your newsletter have a student or teacher do a brief summary about road rules and how they apply around your school
- Get students to demonstrate the “ABC Tight Bike Checklist and Helmet Check” from the Safe Cycle resource at the school assembly or in a video for your schools social media or newsletter
- Hold a lunchtime bike ride around your school or set up a special bike riding track/obstacle course in your school grounds
- Have a bike parade at your school
- Hold a helmet decorating competition
- Get students to bring their bikes in for a brief service – ask a teacher or volunteer from your school community who have bike experience to help out
Share your Involvement
Don’t forget to take photos/videos of the celebrations on the day and share it on social media using the hashtag #RideSafelytoSchoolWeek. Or email us your photos – firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay tuned for a student competition, details coming soon.