What is Ride Safely to School Week?
Ride Safely to School Week has been developed to give schools the opportunity to reinforce safety messages around cycling while encouraging students to ride to school. We recognise the importance of kids getting the recommended 60mins of physical activity everyday, and that while riding your bike it’s just as important to be safe on the streets.
How do I get my school involved?
Ride or Walk to School and Its Your Move Safe Cycle registered schools will receive a resource package including posters and stickers to promote the week at your school. Check to see if your school is registered here!
Schools not on the program can register their details to receive a resource package by clicking the link below or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ideas to Promote Ride Safely to School Week at your School
- Organise a ride to school day – get some school teachers or volunteers to meet at Part Way Drop Off points and ride in together
- Ask your school P&C to put on a healthy breakfast for riders
- At your school assembly or in your newsletter have a student or teacher do a brief summary about road rules and how they apply around your school
- Get students to demonstrate the “ABC Tight Bike Checklist and Helmet Check” from the Safe Cycle resource at the school assembly or in a video for your schools social media or newsletter
- Hold a lunchtime bike ride around your school or set up a special bike riding track/obstacle course in your school grounds
- Have a bike parade at your school
- Hold a helmet decorating competition
- Get students to bring their bikes in for a brief service – ask a teacher or volunteer from your school community who have bike experience to help out
Share your Involvement
Don’t forget to take photos/videos of the celebrations on the day and share it on social media using the hashtag #RideSafelytoSchoolWeek. Or email us your photos – email@example.com.